Our training offer
Hi, this is Lui, and I’m proud to offer our specially tailored and CPD Accredited suite of virtual training modules to professionals seeking a better understanding of gender issues. The training encompasses everything you need to know for September 2020 RSE LGBT+ inclusion. If you would like to register your interest, then don’t hesitate to contact us on [email protected] for more information.
Lui was a great facilitator and is clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about issue affecting young people.Trainee, April 2020
Mermaids offers a range of trans-inclusive diversity awareness training, specifically tailored to your needs. We regularly train professionals in the NHS, police and uniformed services, Social Services, schools and CAMHS as well as other charity, corporate and public sector clients. We can also deliver training to support HR departments and management to be supportive and understanding of the needs of transgender employees, and how to ensure that your policies and procedures are inclusive. Unconscious bias and discrimination is still prevalent; we can help you tackle this. We tailor all of our training to the specific needs and timings of each enquiry.
If you are interested, please get in touch by emailing us on [email protected] with a summary of numbers, location and a general overview of your current situation. For example, if you are a school supporting a child to transition, or an NHS trust wishing to upskill key staff members with information and understanding of gender variance in children and young people. All training comes with a certificate for attendees, links to further information and materials, free resources and follow on support. Our training packages are certified by the CPD Association (member organisation 12757).
Content in a typical training session
- Understanding gender identity and gender diversity: what it means to be trans or gender non-conforming
- LGBT+ terminology
- Challenges faced by trans young people: isolation, bullying and discrimination, familyissues, social situations, mental health, transitioning while at school etc
- Transition pathways, including healthcare
- Changing names, systems and forms
- Legal responsibilities: the Equality Act, hate crime incidents, transphobia
- Managing single-sex spaces
- Improving LGBT+ equality and diversity: policies, guidance, recommended resources
It gave me a very good overview of the issues
Past projects: Department for Education (2017-19)
Mermaids have supported many families and young people dealing with bullying and discrimination due to their gender identity. As part of that support, we delivered training into schools to help them understand the issues that children face and to give them the understanding and tools to both support those children and to tackle bullying in all forms.
Mermaids was funded by the DfE to deliver training into 40 schools nationwide as part of a partnership of multiple organisations, through the LGBT Consortium. An overview of what this covered is below, and if your organisation would like to undertake a similar program, we can deliver this.
The overall purpose is to reduce the number of incidents of homophobic, biphobic and transphobic (HBT) bullying in primary and secondary schools, by transforming the culture of how schools prevent and respond to HBT bullying in a sustainable way.
The programme aims to do this in three main ways:
- To prevent HBT bullying from happening in the first place
- To effectively respond to HBT bullying when it does occur
- To create an inclusive school environment for LGBT pupils and families
- Improving school staff capacity and confidence to tackle HBT bullying
- Support from experienced professionals worth up to £1500
- Comprehensive development plan for your school’s anti-HBT work
- Support around creating and embedding policy and practice around tackling HBTbullying
- Training and support for school staff
- Access to a range of resources including lesson plans, supporting documents, helpline
Our trainees say…
It was incredibly informative and filled in a few gaps in my knowledge
Training was great for raising awareness of what gender identity is and how many young people are affected
A very informative trainer with personal experiences to share
Lots of information delivered in a friendly and enjoyable way
I liked how each section was linked with videos and clear explanations of vocabulary (sometimes new vocabulary for me!) Fab!
Lots of information given in a fun and informative way.
Knowledge and understanding about area delivered in a fun, energetic way. Found training so useful
To speak to one of our team about training for your school or organisation, get in touch.Contact us