Our local groups provide safe spaces for families and young people to get together, make friends and benefit from peer-to-peer support. We’re constantly working to expand our reach to ensure that we can offer support across the country.
Mermaids’ local groups meet every month and are run by volunteers who ensure that everyone who attends feels welcome and supported.
We also have a variety of weekly, fortnightly and monthly online groups, which you can find out more about below.
Where are our Local Groups?
- Birmingham – A friendly and welcoming group.
- Essex – We chat about everything, sometimes even gender stuff!
- Inverness and the Highlands – A friendly and welcoming online group open to everyone in Scotland.
- Malvern – The young people often craft or bake while the parents enjoy hot drinks and talk.
- Newcastle – A friendly group for families in the north east.
- Portsmouth – Always delighted to welcome new members, whether parents, carers, siblings, children or teens.
- Reading – Has a biscuit selection that is second to none!
- Stoke – Lots of varied experience to help support other families across North Staffordshire.
The ‘What now?’ Sessions
These friendly, reassuring sessions offer a safe space for parents whose children have recently come out to ask questions and chat things through with other people who are in a similar place. They are open to parents registered for our online community.
Youth Forum drop-in
During 2020 we added youth drop-ins to our calendar of virtual events. These informal sessions allow members of our youth forum to meet virtually, facilitated by our local groups manager, Alice. We play games, chat and generally catch up with each other.
Our local groups are run by a fantastic group of volunteers who ensure all are made to feel welcome, whether it’s their first time attending or 100th! It’s an important role, and we are always looking for new volunteers to facilitate our local groups.