Mermaids has been supporting transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children, young people, and their families since 1995.
Back at the start, we were a small group of concerned parents sitting around the kitchen table, coming together to share experiences, find answers and look for ways to keep our children safe and happy.
Today, Mermaids has evolved into one of the UK’s leading LGBTQ+ charities, empowering thousands of people with its secure online communities, local community groups, helpline services, web resources, events and residential weekends.
We also seek to educate and inform wider society on gender identity by helping professionals accommodate and reassure gender-diverse young people.
Over the years, we’ve seen many changes in the language and understanding surrounding gender issues but one thing remains the same: transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children deserve the freedom and confidence to explore their gender identity wherever their journey takes them, free from fear, isolation and discrimination.
Mermaids supports transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children and young people until their 20th birthday, as well as their families and professionals involved in their care. We also currently offer web chat support to students up to the age of 25.
Transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children and teens need support and understanding, as well as the freedom to explore their gender identity. Whatever the outcome, Mermaids is committed to helping families navigate the challenges they may face.
- Reduces isolation and loneliness for transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children, young people and their families.
- Provides families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate education and health services.
- Helps young people to cope better with mental and emotional distress, and equips their parents with what they need to offer individual support.
- Improves the self-esteem and social skills of children and young people.
- Improves awareness, understanding and practices of teachers, GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
For fundraising, press, media and training enquiries you can give us a call or send us an email.Contact Us