WHAT DID LIZ TRUSS SAY?
“First of all, the protection of single-sex spaces, which is extremely important.Liz Truss
Secondly making sure that transgender adults are free to live their lives as they wish without fear of persecution, whilst maintaining the proper checks and balances in the system.
Finally, which is not a direct issue concerning the Gender Recognition Act, but is relevant, making sure that the under 18s are protected from decisions that they could make, that are irreversible in the future. I believe strongly that adults should have the freedom to lead their lives as they see fit, but I think it’s very important that while people are still developing their decision-making capabilities that we protect them from making those irreversible decisions.”
- We are concerned that these comments signify an intention in Government to make it more difficult for transgender and gender-diverse teenagers to make informed decisions about their own bodies.
- We are also concerned by any suggestion that transgender women and girls might be made less welcome in public facilities.
What can I do?
Find out who your MP is and how to email them by clicking here.
You can write your own letter from scratch being clear and using simple language, explaining your point of view and perhaps sharing your reason for wanting to make contact.
We have also drafted an example letter which you can use as a guide: download example letter.
- Make sure you give your email a clear subject title and hit ‘send’.
- If you don’t hear back within around ten working days, you can follow your letter up with a polite request for a reply.
- Let others know that they can write a letter too by sharing this page and feel free to post on social media.
You can forward the response from your MP to [email protected]
People often think they’re powerless to influence the decisions made by their MP, but actually writing a letter can make a real difference and most members of parliament take their duty to listen to constituents very seriously.Lui Asquith, Legal & Policy manager, Mermaids